October 25, 2006

Strike and Stripenkaarts


Hello all. Today started out with a strike. Yes, a strike. The bus and tram drivers in The Hague decided to shut down and stop driving. But, unlike the strikes that last days or weeks, this strike lasted 3 hours. Hmmmm..... The sign in the picture was put on each bus and tram stop and apparently it states that the strike will start at 9am today (Oct 25) and end at 12pm. Fortunately I get on the bus and to work before then, but I guess if I didn't, I would just stay home. (Just kidding....but since I'm officially not getting a car, it makes sense....to me.)

Anyway, I made it to work on time (no specific mandatory time that I know of) and the day was normal.

After work, I went to the central station and bought myself a month pass on the public transport. I had to get a picture taken and now I can just show the driver instead of having to have him stamp my cards (stripenkaarts). It was getting very expensive just paying each time I got on. Just going to work it cost me: 2.40euros per bus x 2 buses per trip x 2 trips per day x 5 days per week = way too much money considering it's almost the same amount as buying the monthly pass. Wheww...

This is a pic of the many stripenkaarts I bought and my month pass I got today. They stamp the stripenkaarts with a bunch of numbers that correspond to something--like where I started and how far I paid for...etc--and very often there are people at the bus stops or on the trams that check to make sure you've paid and you're okay to be on there. I haven't been asked for mine yet, but I'm sure I'll get my fair share. Its a huge fine when you are caught.

I finally got a decent amount of groceries tonight, so no more bread with peanut butter for dinner. : ) haha...

No comments: