Today was my first day of work at Ernst & Young. Kevin picked me up at the hotel at 8am and we went to the office in The Hague. It's a really neat office--older building, but with a cool makeover. The heels I borrowed from Charla made an incredibly loud noise as I walked down the halls, though. I became a little self-conscious about it. : )
I received my laptop, passwords, and my fair share of Dutch conversations. I need to learn the basics--like hello, goodbye, have a nice day, etc. Yes, I should learn them--that is my goal for the week....heck, I will learn one a day.
Well, my luggage hasn't arrived yet. Poop! So, it's day 4 of wearing the same thing. I have fresh underwear at least!!! I did wash a pair in the sink just in case this happened and I had to go yet another day with none of my clothes.
I came home from work today and thought that I would run out to get some things--like jeans and maybe some stuff for work...but the people at the front desk told me that the shops close at 5:30 or 6:00 on everyday but Thursday. Great!!!! These Dutch really like their time off! (not that I blame them..but come on!....6?!?!?)
I borrowed two shirts from Charla, so at least I will look different tomorrow with the shirt being white instead of blue. Grrrr....I'm getting ticked off! but still smiling, I guess. It could be worse (but not that worse...haha).
I met with the Senior Partner today to discuss my goals and outcomes for the internship and that was kinda scary--I didn't want to tell him that I was already thinking that i wasn't going to like my job or that all I really wanted to do was travel around. haha... I have an email address at work, but I'll be able to check this one throughout the day (as you all are sleeping) when I get internet access.
So, apartment searching today was another interesting experience. The lady from Rots Vast (broker hired to find me a place several months ago, but seems to have failed at that so far) seems to be really helpful and wants to find me a great place to live for the 7 months I'm here...so that's great. We looked at two apartments. One was really tiny, but split into 3 rooms and a hallway. Think of splitting a room smaller than our living room in Buckner into a hallway, kitchen, bedroom, and living/dining area. The bed was about a queen size, too...and the refrigerator was in there with the bed! Also, there was no dryer and the washing machine was the size of a gallon bucket. The lady called it "old-fashioned". haha Needless to say, I didn't pick that one. The next one she showed me was great! The furniture was up-to-date, there was internet access, and there was a normal size washer and dryer (normal as in half the size as ours at home)...but the catch was that it isn't available for two weeks. Poop again! She is going to pick me up again tomorrow to look at a couple more. Hopefully these will work!!! (and i'll have luggage to move into it)...
Well, I just got off the phone with Kevin and he said that my luggage should be here between 8 and 1 tomorrow. Whoohoo! However, I was hoping to go spend tons of money on new clothes and toiletries before they got here and have British Airways reimburse me for them--although, I'd much rather get them sooner than go another day without my clothes and stuff.
Kevin also said that if the two apartments I am going to look at tomorrow don't work, I can stay here for the rest of the week and then stay with him and his family for the next week until the apartment I liked (described above) is ready--which would be awesome if I got it!!! So, we'll see how this goes tomorrow.
Dutch word for the day: "dag" = goodbye
October 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment